My plan to get a simple garment finished early last week, didn’t exactly work out! Or at least not it the way I thought it would.
Originally, I had this lightweight poly-cotton fabric…
And the issue of Sew Magazine which came with a free copy of the GBSB Sleeveless Shell Top…
And the idea of the Zebra Sleeveless Shell Top was born and I was excited, because this would also go with the jeans I’ll be making for week 3! I traced off the size 8, as suggested by the bust measurement in the magazine and cut out my beautiful fabric.
Everything was going to plan! The top came together easily, I interfaced my facings and trimmed and finished all of the edges as I went along… Unfortunately, the top didn’t fit me… And for such a simple make, this is a little bit disheartening.
I spent the next day pondering whether to start again, adapt the design or finish the garment and class it as a finished but unwearable (for me) make. In the end, I’ve decided to leave it for now, I have a few fixes in mind, but I don’t want to rush them in order to get a quick fix, I can save that for another week! This is not the end of the Zebra Sleeveless Shell Top (mainly because I don’t want to start having “unfinished projects” piling up because of this challenge!).
However, in order to keep up with the challenge, I did need to come up with a garment for week 2! And come up with a garment I did!
Pinterest is a magical place. I believe it could well be the Narnia of the Internet… Except for the fact that when you leave Pinterest, time in the real world has indeed passed whether that is half an hour or 7hours… You can find anything on Pinterest, but I particularly like it for funny images and inspiration. So, in search for a quick fix, I found that I had pinned this Simple Pleated Skirt, originally posted here!
I followed the maths in order to create my own pattern, but I made things in my own way. The instructions were just different to what I would normally do! If I’d taken photos I’d probably share my method with you, but following the original post will be fine!
I am particularly proud of my pattern matching! However I concentrated on this SO MUCH that I didn’t think about the print placement at the centre front or back, so it’s a bit off… But I’ll get over it I’m sure!! The invisible zip looks pretty good too, considering I am lacking in the invisible zipper-foot department!!
The skirt came together in just a few hours, and I’m really happy with it! I used less than 1metre of fabric to make it, although if I’d had more I’d have cut the waistband on the bias.
I feel much better about this whole challenge, knowing that I turned week 2 around. Let’s hope week 3 goes a little smoother!