When I visited the Sewing for Pleasure exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham, I picked up this pattern. I wasn’t looking for a playsuit pattern, but I wanted something different to dresses, that could maybe give me a bit of a challenge and learn new techniques.
Once I’d bought the pattern, I was on the lookout for the perfect fabric that would be suitable for a summer and winter wardrobe, with bare legs (rare) or tights (the usual). This printed crepe fabric caught my eye, the drape and hand feel felt right for the pattern and I was lucky as there was slightly more than the requested 2m left so they lovely lady on the stand gave me the rest of the bolt!
I was determined to sew this up for my holiday (which I returned from last week, it was lovely btw!!), and committed a sewing evening at work to cutting out the pattern and fabric. I like to do this at work because we have large cutting tables and there are no cats there to distract me or sit on the fabric/patterns. Whilst selecting the patterns for the design I chose, I realised this playsuit has pockets… I bloody love pockets on dresses and skirts and playsuits, well just about everything! I can see myself making more of these! I cut a basic size 12, as this was the closest to my body measurements, and because there is so much positive ease, it didn’t matter if the measurements were a little smaller than me!
The playsuit didn’t take long to put together at all! The instructions were really clear, it all came together easily, I completed he bodice one evening and the shorts the next evening. The only thing I changed was to add an additional line of top-stitching at the waist to hold the deep waist seam allowance and elastic channel up against the bodice of the playsuit. I also didn’t have any bias binding for the armholes but found overlocking seam allowance and turning them under worked just fine!
The fabric was lovely to sew with, however it doesn’t press all too well… You can just about press your seam allowances, but this was the main reason I top-stitched the waist elastic channel/seam allowances up, because I knew it would twist up and down when being worn.
The fit is looovely, and it is probably the first playsuit I own that isn’t “too short”, even for me! I did wear it on holiday but didn’t get a photo (I forget to take photos all the time, even when I’m somewhere lovely, so this wasn’t surprising!).
I’d happily make up lots of these, in different colours and fabrics and the pattern has so many options of what you can do -wide leg shorts/trousers, slim leg shorts/trousers, short sleeve, long sleeve, sleeveless, cross over front, pleated front… The possibilities are endless!! I think I might even make one of the jump suits, when I find the right fabric!
All-in-all, this was another great Simplicity – Inspired by Project Runway pattern, suitable for beginners looking for a new challenge!
This week it was announced that The Great British Sewing Bee returns to our screens on Monday at 9pm!! Last year was the first series I’d watched and I found it so inspiring! Even the fella loved it, so I’m looking forward to seeing the projects, challenges and how everyone copes under that sewing bee pressure his year! I’m quite a slow sewer, even if I’m trying to be quick, so I am always in awe of the contestants!
I’m also attending The Big Simplicity Blog Meet on May 21st in Manchester, which is my first blog meet and I’m really looking forward to it! I’ve seen quite a few bloggers that I already follow will be attending too, so it’ll be nice to meet the people behind the blogs and widen my blogging circle!!
If you’re also attending the blog meet, let me know in the comments below :)!